Re: is google earth safe to install?

Indeed, using any software makes you used to it, and dependent on it up to whatever extent you use it. With free software, you know that you have control over the software. You can rely on the community to do most of the job, and do for yourself what they won't do or you would do better (and contribute that to upstream). With proprietary software, you are making yourself dependent and handing the control of a part of your life (computing) to a company that only cares for profit; that's not security.

Also, most proprietary software is distributed without source. That precludes a real security audit, incentives the developer to be sloppy about security and to intentionally build anti-features into the software that work for his own interests and against those of the user, since it's unlikely that users will figure about these anti-features. There are many cases. Just to name one, think of the recent cases of VW and Lenovo with Superfish.

is google earth safe to install?

You want to hear "yes, I have been using it for years with no incident", but that doesn't means it's secure. With the internals of the system hidden from you, you will never be able to trust it.