Re: Please tipps for Desktop ( gnome, kde, xfce, etc. ) Debian 8 jessie and some minor issues

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 19:16:46 +0200
Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se> wrote:

> On Sat, 2015-10-10 at 15:31 +0200, Peter Berlau wrote:
> > i have to external firewire drives connected to the iMac
> > i can access drives manualy but i like to do this have automatic
> > during
> > boot process...
> > i think i have to add
> > UUID                         /mnt/dsk1
> > defaults
> >             1             1
> > UUID                         /mnt/dsk2
> > defaults
> >             1             1
> > but, i like to be sure and what happens if one or both of the hds
> > are not connected?
>
> At least on GNOME plugging in an external disk, it should "just work"
> but I'm not sure about firewire or Xfce.

Where systemd is in use, removable drives should not need to be listed
in /etc/fstab, they should be handled properly and mounted under
/media. I don't have firewire either, it's OK with USB.

If they are listed in fstab, the 'nofail' option must be added or else
booting will fail if they are not present. systemd assumes that all
non-network drives listed in fstab are essential for booting unless
they have 'nofail' specified.

--
Joe