Re: No sound in Debian 8 'jessie' Xfce on Youtube

Muntasim Ul Haque <tranjeeshan <at> inventati.org> writes:

> Hi,
> I have had problems with Debian 8 'jessie' Xfce edition. I didn't get
> any sound initially. Then after 'some' configuration, I got sound
> working. But sound related problems were still there. When I plug-in the
> headphone I got no sound. Then I have to re-adjust using 'pavucontrol'
> and 'alsamixer'. And the main problem was with Youtube videos. I thought
> that was because I don't have Flash player installed and I don't want
> to. But then I tried Debian jessie GNOME and everything was working
> fine. Even the Youtube video's sound. So what's the deal with Xfce? Why
> there was no sound on YouTube? And why I had to configure every time I
> switch from and to headphone and speaker?
>
> With thanks,
> Muntasim Ul Haque

I had the same problem. I found a solution here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/
545758/problem-with-sound-volume-with-xfce-on-ubuntu-14-04-1-lts

run the following command to turn mute on:

pactl set-sink-mute 0 1

run the following command to turn mute off:

pactl set-sink-mute 0 0