Re: Advertising and commercial services in free software

Hi,

Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> writes:
> On Monday 05 October 2015 19:58:19 Timothy Hobbs wrote:
>> Lately, I feel that this trust has been violated. Most notably, by the
>> addition of advertisements to iceweasel's new tab page.
>> http://timothy.hobbs.cz/iceweasel-ads.png See the "Booking.com"
>> sponsored link.
>
> I don't see that.  Do other people?
>
> I see only suggestions of sites I have visited - and I can even turn them off.
> I leave them on because I find them quite useful.

I think they are only shown in a new install (or new user profile) and
replaced with sites you have visited in the past over time. It might
also depend on the locale.

+---
| If you are using Firefox for the first time, the New Tab page will
| display useful and interesting content, including sites we consider
| important to the Mozilla mission, and sponsored sites from commercial
| partners. They are eventually replaced by sites from your history as
| you continue to use Firefox.
+---[ https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/about-tiles-new-tab ]

One can disable them by clicking on the cog wheel in the upper right
corner of the new tab page and choosing "Classic" or "Blank", but the
default indeed shows a "Booking.com" ad in a new profile for me right
now.

Ansgar