Re: OpenVPN fails

	Hi.

On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 03:51:17PM +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a VPS running up to date wheezy, with an OpenVPN server, and a
> wheezy box at home running an OpenVPN client. this used to work fine
> last year. I haven't had cause to use it much recently, and I now find
> it's died. I don't know when, or what changed to cause the fault.
>
> It appears that the client end is failing to start; running
> openvpn /etc/openvpn/tony-lx.conf ends up with:
>
> Mon Oct  5 15:08:50 2015 ROUTE default_gateway=192.168.1.1
> Mon Oct  5 15:08:50 2015 Note: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No
> such device (errno=19)
<skip>
> [1267669.932889] tun: Unknown symbol ipv6_proxy_select_ident (err 0)
>
> So, the tun module is failing to load; but now I'm out of ideas to try
> further. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

First things first - apparently your tun module is compiled for the
different kernel that you run. Good, stock in-tree kernel modules do
not have unresolved symbols.

Second, on my system tun.ko definitely references
"ipv6_proxy_select_ident kernel" symbol. Which can only lead to suspect
the kernel.

Third thing is - unless you manage to convince tun module to load -
openvpn won't function.

Hence, the questions are:

1) Are you using stock/backported Debian kernel on VPS?

2) Have you upgraded the kernel since openvpn worked for you?

3) Any reboots since then?

Reco