Re: How to disable automatic mounting of CDROM?

Brian wrote:
On Sat 26 Sep 2015 at 17:11:32 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

Brian wrote:

I see what you mean.

Try

   gsettings set org.mate.media-handling automount false

"apparently" works
*NOTE BENE* the quotation marks
I ran one DVD
am now running a second

Successfully, we expect.

I'll have to go back and redo from scratch. Just spent a week in bed with stomach bug. Don't recall some of the side issues I was dealing with.

HOWEVER I suspect I've made system wide changes without being asked for root
permission

Policykit will take care of privileges. Nothing to worry about.

Hadn't done any previous reading on Policykit. It may address the one thing I've found most annoying while trying to move to Linux. Users [*PLURAL*] and Groups [*PLURAL*] may make sense in a universe of mainframes. Not so much in a setting where only one individual has access. I have one machine that has no network access whatsoever (let alone internet) - going to lengths to protect it from external "threats" can become ludicrous.

*ALSO* it affected BOTH flash drives and CDs

Indeed. Is is worth digging into udisks and udev to handle CDs and USB
differently when a left or right click of the mouse does mounting so
quickly?

Quite possibly. Remember the "P" in PC stands for Personal. YMMV ;)

http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=gsettings+&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Debian+8+jessie&format=html&locale=en
*NOT* informative

Nothing to fret about if the easier route is taken:

    System Tools/dconf Editor/org/mate/desktop/media-handling

Front ends are nice, but I want to understand what's under the hood.

It also does not address pre-systemd

I don't follow that.

I had had the impression that D-bus was inherently part of systemd.
Just had an interesting read through https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Bus and http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus/ [even mentions a Windows port ;].