Re: Broadcom 43121 wlan issue

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 13:22:44 +0530
Himanshu Shekhar <irm2015006@iiita.ac.in> wrote:

> I updated my system last night after which I was not able to use network on
> my laptop. I tried to install ethernet driver as I had it locally but could
> not make the wifi work.
> Earlier the /lib/modules folder had 3.16* directory only, now I could see
> some 4.1* alongside. Also, the driver in use was *wl* which was working
> fine, but now I couldn't install wl. The installation reports are in the
> attachments.
> The first time I installed Debian 8.1, I had the same issue, traversed
> Synaptic and installed broadcom-sta-dkms which fixed the issue.

Your 'wl' issue is a red herring, that package is a mail client for
Emacs, not a driver. broadcom-sta-dkms failed to build, if you read the
final line of output it advises you on your next course of action:

"Consult /var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.248/build/make.log for
more information."

My guess is that it has problems with the newer kernel, but without
that file it's impossible to say why it failed to build. Another guess
would be that you haven't installed the kernel headers, which are
required to build that package.

AFAICT a 4.1 kernel isn't (and shouldn't be, AIUI) in the Jessie repos,
you might be better off running a supported one.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"