Mouse blanker?

Greetings all;

One of the things that are a little bit like being nibbled to death by
ducks, is the lack of a mouse blanker in linux, something that was part
of and automatic in Amigados 20 years ago.

I'm refering of course to shutting the mouses pointer image off when you
start typing in an editor, and only bring it back when the typing has
stopped because you reached for and moved the mouse a few pixels.

I haven't a clue how many times I have clicked on the spot where I wanted
to insert some text, only to have to stop and move the mouse off it so I
can see what I typed. It can be a distracting, even maddening
interruption in ones train of thought.

Is there such a critter, and I just don't know how to activate it?

Thanks for any suggestions to activate this.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)