Re: [OT] Free software vs non-free, here we go again

On 9/30/2015 1:51 AM, Reco wrote:
	Hi.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 08:57:13PM -0700, Seeker wrote:

If you think of non-free in terms of Debian non-free, then non-free and proprietary
can be different things. That gets into a whole different hornets nest.
Evaluate here, please. I honestly can not grasp this concept.

Reco

amiwm is in non-free. It includes source. It allows redistribution, but specifies "for non-commercial use". You are allowed to make changes, but not allowed to redistribute modified binaries or source. Not bad in the proprietary black box kind of way. But it is bad in the sense that it looks unmaintained and lack of
ability to redistribute changes will eventually become an issue.

There is angband-audio, that looks to be under some form of Creative Commons license.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

Cuneiform is in non-free, don't know why that is since following the link to what is listed as the
home page indicates the license is "Simplified BSD License".

 https://launchpad.net/cuneiform-linux/

There is game stuff in non-free where the game engine is open source, but the level data is either not included, requiring you to have a game disk or demo version to extract the data from, or game
data is under more restrictive license.

I'm fine with game data being under a restrictive license with an open source license on the engine, that still allows game developers to use the engine with independently developed levels and allows the game engine to continue being updated so I can continue to play the game with it's original levels
in the future as long as I have access to that level data.

Then there are issues with documentation under GFDL license not meeting DFSG requirements due
to the invariant text clause.

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Free_Documentation_License

It's not all a black and white issue, there are several shades of grey in the mix as well.

And I appreciate the way Debian developers deal with these things on behalf of those who create Custom Debian Distributions and redistribute them, but still having non-free separately available for
us individual users.

Later, Seeker