Re: Sound card question

On Wed, September 30, 2015 8:55 am, Danny wrote:
> What I would like to know is if it would be possible to send audio that
> goes to the headphones to the Line-Out jack at the same time?

I would be surprised that the case is otherwise.  I always install
"pavucontrol" (pulse audio volume control), which may be all you need.

But "jack" can provide any signal routing you need.

A few years back I began using a USB interface for sound on everything.
This approach allows me to switch the entire sound apparatus from one
machine to another with only a single USB cable, so long as the machine
has a USB port and pavucontrol is installed.  And I no longer have to
worry about the idiosyncrasies of all various on-board sound systems.

One advantage of the USB interface approach to sound is the ability to use
professional (that is, balanced) apparatus, which, by design, eliminates
hum and buzz.  You might find balanced gear advantageous when
radio-frequency interference (RFI) is a consideration.

Entertainment and broadcast supply houses (bswusa.com, fullcompass.com,
markertek.com, bandh.com) stock a variety of economical USB interfaces.

For many in the audio business (podcasting, performance, and audio mixing
and editing), USB sound has obsoleted bus-based sound cards.

The Lexicon Alpha at less than fifty dollars is versatile and reliable,
and is powered from the USB bus.  The Lexicon design (Alpha and Omega)
uses the mixer paradigm, and can accommodate a mix of balanced and
unbalanced inputs and outputs.

RLH