Re: questions about debian installer prompts re: iwlwifi firmware

Quoting Haines Brown (haines@histomat.net):
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 04:17:23PM -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> > Greetings!
> >
> > I am trying to install Debian on a Dell620 with USB stick media. When
> > the installer tried to configure the network software, it asked for an
> > iwlwifi firmware file.
>
> Tom, I regret no one has answered your question yet, for it is one that
> has bothered me in the past. In lieu of an answer, I've had to string an
> ethernet cable to the machine, install the OS and then the wifi firmware
> and configure the network interface, and then reboot without the cable.

I'm not really surprised. The OP's PS says he's found a solution.
What that is might help us determine what was wrong originally.
Why should we have to trot out what's already documented in the
debian-installer manual, and then engage in a guessing game?

Sometimes people pose problems without revealing all the necessary
info because they don't realise what might help. It's always better
for them to be specific about what they wanted to do and what they
actually did.

But why deliberately withhold information?

Cheers,
David.