Broadcom 4311 network adapter doesn't work under Jessie (was debian-user-digest Digest V2015 #1143)

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 08:23:39 -0400 (EDT), Edward Lukacs wrote:

> Oh, yes ... I can't get the ... Broadcom 4311 internal card
> running under Jessie.  ... Strange, but up to and including Ubuntu
> 10.04, it ran right out of the box without any fuss ...

Sounds like missing firmware.  Do you have the non-free and contrib
sections of the Debian archive enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list?
Do you have Debian package firmware-b43-installer installed?

After installing it, and rebooting, issue

   dmesg|less

and search for the string "firmware" to see if the firmware loaded
properly this time, and to see if there are any other missing firmware
files for other hardware that requires firmware.

By the way, please choose a more appropriate subject line in your posts
to this list.  It's more likely to get attention that way.

I am CCing you because the subject line implies that you are not
subscribed to the main list.  Please do not CC me back; just reply to
the list, since I am subscribed to the list.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :