Re: Brazilian portuguese keyboard and accented characters (á, ç, ã)

Quoting Markos (markos@c2o.pro.br):
> I just installed Jessie in an IBM ThinkPad X60.
> When I select the Keyboard "en" the keys work properly but can not
> generate non-English characters or accented characters, such as ç, ã
> or á.
>
> At another laptop (ThinkPad Z61) I type:
>
> ' + c -> ç
> ' + a -> á
> ~ + a -> ã

Assuming the other laptop is running linux, compare the keyboard
configuration which is in /etc/default/keyboard on Debian.
You might need to add a variant to the XKBVARIANT="" line.
The possibilites are shown in the /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst
file.

I'm not sure what you're selecting with the type "en". If "en" is
intended to stand for english, there's no layout by that name.
There's "us", "gb" and one or two others that don't look connected
with Brazil (eg Cameroon).

> How to configure the IBM ThinkPad X60 keyboard to do the same?

Populate /etc/default/keyboard in the order given (your choice of
layout constrains the variant). Here are a couple of mine:

#XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBMODEL="latitude"
XKBLAYOUT="gb"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="caps:none,compose:menu,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
BACKSPACE="guess"

#XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBMODEL="microsoftinet"
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="lv3:ralt_switch,caps:none,compose:menu,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
BACKSPACE="guess"

Cheers,
David.