Re: Installing debian on qosmio laptop

On Thu, 2015-09-17 at 11:43 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a Qosmio G25 that I have had for some year. It has been a dual
>
> boot system with Windoz XP on one 60GB drive and Debian Wheezy on the
>
> other 60GB drive using a Grub2 loader. I recently tried to up grade
> Jessie and the installation now hangs on boot. There is also problems
>
> with the Windows side as well. The short tale is that I want to
> reformat
> both disks and install Jessie from scratch. I have both a stick
> netinstall and and a DVD netinstall available. For some reason I
> can't
> find a set of instructions that cover installation from scratch. All
> seem to assume that windows or some such is already installed.
> Neither
> my stick or my DVD will start on boot up no matter what I try. The
> BIOS
> on this system is a bit strange but on boot up there is an option to
> select what device is to be booted if you are quick. I know that some
> of
> the bells and whistles on the laptop won't have drivers available in
> linux but don't care. Knoppix boots fine. Could this be used for what
> want to do.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find a concise set of instructions for a
>
> "cold iron" installation.
>
> Gary R.

Hi,

According to this site, that system should be quite well-supported:
http://www.linlap.com/toshiba_dynabook_qosmio_g25

I'm not sure why you can't find instructions for a clean install? Most
installation guides assume you start from scratch, there's also the
Debian installation guide:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

It's possible that you might not be able to boot from USB, it can be a
finicky system, or maybe a bad USB drive, or a problem with how you
transferred the image to the drive.

Booting from CD or DVD should not be a problem, have you validated the
checksum after download and burnt the disc correctly?

How do you boot into Knoppix?

If there isn't time to select the boot device during startup, you
should be able to enter the BIOS and change the boot drive manually.
From a quick skim through Google it seems to be either Esc or F1.

HTH,

--
Cheers,