Re: How to write live image to usb stick

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:18:41 +0200
Gerardo Ballabio <gerardo.ballabio@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>I'm trying to write a bootable iso image (jessie live dvd) to a USB stick.
>I'm running jessie with Gnome.
>
>This page: <https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/i386/ch04s03.html.en>
>says that I should first make sure what the correct device name is (done --
>df lists the stick as /dev/sdb1), then unmount the stick (done), then "cp
>image.iso /dev/sdb" (I suppose as root, so I used sudo).
>
>That fails with this error:
>
>cp: cannot create regular file ‘/dev/sdb’: No medium found
>
>"ls -l /dev/sdb" shows this:
>brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 16 Sep 13 16:53 /dev/sdb
>
>Can you please help me?
>
>Thank you in advance
> Gerardo

Having just done this, and my install is running as I type this on a
different system, you have to unmount the usb drive before it works.
WARNING: it destroys anything on the drive when it writes the image.

Don't forget the "sudo sync" command when it finishes writing. It took
quite a while to get the image written here.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914