Re: Upgrading Debian

On Sunday 13 September 2015 08:57:49 Himanshu Shekhar wrote:
> I just want to make sure again. How can one upgrade from one version of
> Debian to other without losing data or without formatiing the partition,
> simply as Ubuntu does.

We don't know Ubuntu.  Don't expect us to give you instructions in terms of
Ubuntu.

You are being very unclear what you want to do.  From 8.1 to 8.2 is a normal
routine upgrade.  It is not a version change.  Earlier you said that you
wanted to go from 6 to 8.  That is totally different.

And are you trying to do this without access to the internet??

You seem to be trying to do several different things.  Which do you want to
do?

> An earlier mail in this mailing list stated to reboot from iso image and
> install in the same old traditional way.

For a version upgrade (and 8.1 to 8.2 is not a version upgrade) many people
prefer to do this.  Many have successfully upgraded through many versions
without reinstalling.

> This Facebook post states something else, and I couldn't make sure what to
> do without bricking up my hard configured system.
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/lifewithdebian/permalink/10153149941663977/

If you can't be clear what you are trying to do you are certainly likely to
brick your system one way or another.

But whatever you do, keep good backups.  Then it won't matter if you do brick
your system.

So, to summarise:
What *exactly* are you trying to do?
What are you trying do it to?  (Machine specs, what have you now etc.)
What facilities have you got?

And there is no rule book.  This is Debian not Ubuntu.  You may - indeed will,
if you get any at all - get different advice.  We don't all agree with each
other. ;-)

Lisi