Re: systemd ignores / overrides 'shutdown -t' delay?

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015, The Wanderer wrote:
> and an immediate shutdown (without even enough delay to log root out
> via Ctrl-D), which is what I get on my other systems, where systemd is
> not the active init system.

I suspect that the shutdown process has actually started immediately,
but that one of the daemons that you are running (or a filesystem) is
not being properly unmounted or stopped, and systemd is waiting until it
hits the timeout for a shutdown.

If you look at the output of journalctl -ar -b -1; you should be able to
see what actually happened.

But if, after all, we are on the wrong track, what then? Only
disappointed human hopes, nothing more. And even if we perish, what
will it matter in the endless cycles of eternity?
 -- Fridtjof Nansen _Farthest North_ p152