Re: Extracting directories from an ISO image, command line tool?

Quoting Thomas Schmitt (scdbackup@gmx.net):

>   for i in /media/distributionA/DVD*.iso
>   do
>     xorriso -osirrox on:auto_chmod_on -overwrite nondir \
>             -indev "$i" \
>             -extract /pool /media/distributionA/poolA
>   done
>
> The setting -osirrox auto_chmod_on enables writing to
> read-only directories which were created by a previous
> xorriso -extract command.
> This is needed especially if duplicate files overwrite
> each other in such read-only directories.
>
> One may change the permissions of the directories before
> extraction.
>
>     xorriso -osirrox on -overwrite nondir \
>             -indev "$i" \
>             -find /pool -type d -exec chmod u+rwx -- \
>             -extract /pool /media/distributionA/poolA \
>             -rollback_end
>
> The final command -rollback_end prevents error messages
> about pending changes and no output drive being acquired.
>
> This is equivalent to
>     find /media/distributionA/poolA -type d -exec chmod u+rwx '{}' ';'
> after each xorriso run.

Thanks Thomas; another neat tool to try out, twice in the same week.
Even better: you wrote it!

For this particular use, I think I would use "-overwrite off" because
there ought not to be any duplicate packages in one distribution's pool
and, if there were, I'd want to check that they had identical contents
and see how come they were there.

Cheers,
David.