Redirecing root emails to a gmail account

Hello,
I want to have the root e-mails sent to my gmail account if possible. I can send email here via commandline

echo "This is a test." | mail -s Test <external addess>

but despite editing /etc/aliases so that root points to the external address I can't get this to work.

echo "This is a test.(root)" | mail -sv Testing root

adding a verbose to the mail command doesn't give any more details.
I tried running newaliases, but that didn't make any difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James