Re: Next Q, re amd64-microcode

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015, Gene Heskett wrote:
> [    0.053621] CPU0: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
> stepping 02
>
> Midway thru the dmesg after the reboot, dmesg reports:
> [    2.893141] microcode: AMD CPU family 0xf not supported

It is as the kernel said...

> My google-fu has located where AMD says family 10h is the starter, the
> first cpu to support this, so am I to assume that the 0xf is too early?

There is no *working* microcode update facility on that AMD CPU.  I *think*
there is actually an extremely broken one that must not be used, but I could
be wrong about that, and it doesn't matter anyway.

> Is there no applicable microcode for the above CPU?

No, there isn't, at least for operational system use.  AMD never published
any microcode update data for family 0x0f, AFAIK.

I don't know about BIOS use (maybe the thing can be updated exactly once) or
the archive vaults of the AMD processor development labs :-)

  Henrique Holschuh