Re: Another system management tool to disappear.

On Monday 31 August 2015 19:27:31 Reco wrote:
>  Hi.
>
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 18:25:09 +0100
>
> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Are you referring to that snippet:
> > >
> > > # Connected to the local host. Press ^] three times within 1s to exit
> > > session.
> > >
> > > ... or are you referring to other parts of the page that I missed or
> > > parts in the video?
> > >
> > > If you are referring to that snippet, I suspect you are reading it
> > > wrong.
> > >
> > > For once, it is "^]", i.e. Ctrl-], i.e. ASCII 0x1D, aka "group
> > > separator".
> > >
> > > You can notice it is the same as the "escape character" present in most
> > > telnet implementations.
> > >
> > > And my second point is: it is obviously meant for emergency exit, like
> > > tilde-point in SSH. You should need it almost never in normal use,
> > > where you exit either by typing the command "exit" or by sending the
> > > EOF code (usually Ctrl-D), just like su.
> > >
> > > Actually, AFAIK neither sudo nor su support an emergency exit sequence.
> > > If that has not bothered you until now, it should not bother you from
> > > now on either.
> >
> > Then I have misunderstood, which does not surprise me.
> >
> > What is the alternative to su that there is so much fuss about?  And I
> > don't care about the session ending function it apparently has.  <su>
> > will change me to root and <su $USER> will change me to the user.  Is
> > that what people fear will disappear?  And what do they fear will be put
> > in its place?  (Yes, I understand that so far it is in addition, not
> > instead of, but what is the fuss about?  What has Lennart proposed?)
>
> It's really simple.
>
> 1) Boot with init=/bin/sh kernel commandline.
>
> 2) Invoke su - <some_user>. Observe the result.
>
> 3) Invoke "machinectl shell". Observe the result.
>
> 4) Compare results from 2) and 3).

Thanks for the replies.  But I still don't know what is "going" and what
is "coming".

Oh well, I shall no doubt discover.  At the moment on my Jessie machine I can
open a terminal, su into root, perform whatever it is, and su out.

I'll worry about it when/if I can't.

Is the proposed change only going to have an effect so early in the process?

But I'll try the above, Reco.

Lisi