Re: the IBM keyboard

On Sun, August 30, 2015 8:18 pm, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> Oh joy!  forgive my nose, especially since I missed this post at first.
> Still, I am typing right now, this very moment, on a real IBM clicky
> keyboard! However the cable is starting to fray,  and I was wondering if I
> would be able to replace this treasure...i. have. had. this. for. a. very!
> long time. Anyway, your link to this company may be a solution and I am
> sososososo happy! thanks, Kare

If the only problem is a cable, all you need to do is find a local
technician who can replace the cable with the cable from one of the
chinese keyboards which someone has tossed into the dumpster.

Of course, most keyboards nowadays are USB.  But most of us (myself
included) have in the closet a keyboard or two which uses the old-style
connector, if that is what you need.

The technician would take the back cover off the keyboard, clip the leads
of the old cable, attach the leads of the replacement cable, and replace
the back cover.  Soldering may be necessary, but that is simple for any
technician.  A fifteen-minute repair.

For a local technicial, ask around.  Almost any amateur radio operator
should be competent.  Look around your neighbourhood for a house with a
large antenna or for a car with an amateur radio license plate.

Failing that, if you have a local radio or television station, walk in
with you keyboard in hand (and the old keyboard from which you are going
to scavange the cable) and ask to see the technician.

The cost of the repair?  A box of donuts should do it.

RLH