Re: laptop protection in an office network

On Sun, August 30, 2015 3:26 am, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> ... We went with a very fine comb over things. It's always a balance
> between convenience/feasibility and security. You're not at the NSA,
> trying to whistle-blow, after all (use TAILS for that, and some help from
> trusted friends). If you reduce the lists by a bit, you'll end up with a
> manageable set of things you could try to uninstall (and see what'd go
> down with it: I don't know how much of GNOME is torn down these days if
> you take down Avahi, just for one example).
>
> The most interesting part here is the process. What makes you secure is
> some awareness of what's in your box and what it's doing there.

This has been an interesting experience for me, and I am grateful to you
and to all who have entered into the discussion.  I am going to print out
all these messages and read them again, and save them for reference.  This
interaction has given me a better understanding of the issues than I would
have gotten from reading a book on how to secure a machine.

My best regards to all,

Russell Harris