Re: Another system management tool to disappear.

On Saturday 29 August 2015 09:29:47 Brian wrote:

> On Sat 29 Aug 2015 at 08:55:00 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
> > So, if su goes away,  how do I accomplish those tasks in a suitable
> > manner that will not bore a hole in the user sandbox?
>
> su is not going away. Please take no notice of the misinformation
> being spread in the first post and read
>
>   https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/825

Well, if it did, I wonder how long it will be before someone replaces all
that typing with a script named su?  There are far more ways to skin
that cat than the cats supposedly nine lives can account for.

That is not written in jest. I have automated quite a few of the daily
ditch digging tasks on this machine so that when something see's a
trigger, there's a bash script, launched as a daemon, waiting to handle
it, all in the background, often without making me even aware of it. It
just gets done.

That is after all, one of the things computers should be good at, so I
use the heck out of its ability to save me keystrokes or button clicks.

For instance, to reply to this mail which showed up already sorted to the
correct "folder" as if by magic, all I have to do is click the correct
reply button.  And click on send, or ctl+return when I am done.
Litterally everything else is done for me by scripts that tie mailfilter
and fetchmail, feeding procmail, which in turn checks that mail with
spamassassin, clamscan & feeds the survivors to /var/spool/mail/$user.
The closing of that file triggers another script that tells kmail to go
get the new mail from that local inbox.  So kmail doesn't go to sleep
for 30 seconds while I am in the middle of typing a reply, a fraction of
a second is all.

Whats not to like?

Another "furinstance". I have a 30 yo computer setup in the basement that
I yet do software development on in the wintertime.  I run a java app
that hooks it up to this machine, so I can have a file here that looks
like a whole drive to that machine, up to 100's of them in fact.  Or if
I want to print a listing of some of my assembly language scribblings,
the printer driver in its os has been swapped out for one that uses one
of the channels this java app, called drivewire has, so I "list filename
>/p", and this machine does all the work, spitting out that listing at
19 pages a minute on a small Brother laser printer that actually lives
on the desk that computer is sitting on.  All tied together with a
loooong USB cable, and done automatically and 20x faster by this
machine. Also much easier to read than the old dot matrix printers that
machine once drove.

That is what computers are supposed to do.  So I have no qualms about
making them do it.  It gives me more time to be creative in other ways.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)