Re: Another system management tool to disappear.

 Hi.

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 16:57:01 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri 28 Aug 2015 at 11:16:11 -0400, Renaud OLGIATI wrote:
>
> > Systemd-Linux to get rid of su:
> >
> > https://tlhp.cf/lennart-poettering-su/
> >
> > Is this a trend to make _all_ the GNU-Linux tools disappear, and have _everything_
> > incorporated into systemd ?
>
> When a thread is started with a complete misrepresentation of the facts
> of the situation the only way left for it go is downhill.
>
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/825

Surely you meant the very github thread you're referring to.

Compare su(1):

The su command is used to become another user *during a login session*.

Well, there have been long discussions about this, but the problem is
that what "su" is supposed to do is very unclear. On one hand it's
supposed *to open a new session* and change a number of execution
context parameters (uid, gid, env, ...), and on the other it's supposed
to inherit a lot concepts from the originating session (tty, cgroup,
audit, ...).

I'm kind of surprised that the bug was not closed as WONTFIX. su(1) is
not a "full login", but it's not supposed to provide one anyway.

Reco