Re: Too many system names

On 08/27/2015 01:33 PM, Jochen Spieker wrote:
Jochen Spieker:
David Wright:
Quoting Jochen Spieker (ml@well-adjusted.de):

Using an IP address as ServerName is odd. You have to use the hostname
that you want to use in URLs here.
The latter seems odd, seeing as the first thing you would normally do
with a hostname is look it up and turn it into an IP address.
Yes, but most people are better at remembering names than IP addresses
and the lookup is performed automatically whenever you use it.
BTW, the real reason that ServerName is usually a hostname instead of an
IP address is that with HTTP/1.1 you can host multiple domains using
only one IP address. Browsers not only resolve the hostname to an IP
address and connect to that, they also tell the webserver which hostname
they want to talk to and the webserver can serve different content
depending on that hostname.

Apache calls that "name-based virtual hosting":
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/vhosts/name-based.html

J.
OK: With ServerName set to supercrunch and doing a systemctl reload and then systemctl -l status, I get the following message (In part)

Aug 25 23:41:53 supercrunch apache2[662]: Starting web server: apache2AH00557: apache2: apr_sockaddr_info_get() failed for supercrunch Aug 25 23:41:53 supercrunch apache2[662]: AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message

With this set up, I tried to run supercrunch/redmine, localhost/redmine, 127.0.0.1/redmine. None worked.

I change the ServerName to 127.0.0.1 in the 000-default.conf file with the following result.

Aug 25 23:41:53 supercrunch apache2[662]: Starting web server: apache2AH00557: apache2: apr_sockaddr_info_get() failed for supercrunch Aug 25 23:41:53 supercrunch apache2[662]: AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message

Same result as before. The 404 web page returned is interesting in that it says:

Not Found

The requested URL /redmine was not found on this server.
Apache/2.4.10 (Debian) Server at supercrunch Port 80

I'm wondering why the server can't fine redmine. The redmine.conf is in the sites-enabled directory with a softlink to the sites-available directory.

Additional info:
/etc/hosts/  file

127.0.0.1       localhost

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

/etc/network/interfaces file

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
        hostname supercrunch

I am using dhcp for my internal network but set some of my systems to hard 192.168.1.0/24 addresses. This simplifies things when mucking around with things like this problem. Most of my stuff is straight dhcp.

I don't know whether any of this helps. I do appreciate all of your help.

Gary R.