Re: "apt-get dist-upgrade" shows kept back packages

Quoting Martin T (m4rtntns@gmail.com):
> Hi,
>
> as far as I know, kept back packages in Debian are shown in case
> package can not be upgraded with "apt-get upgrade" because upgrade
> requires to install new packages. Usually this can be fixed with
> apt-get dist-upgrade because this will install new packages if needed.
>
> Now for some reason "db5.1-util" package is kept back despite the fact
> that I execute "apt-get dist-upgrade":

I'm not sure which distribution you're running.

[snip]

> Am I correct that "db5.1-util" is kept back because it replaces
> libdb5.1 which is required by python2.6 which I have installed? Output
> of apt-cache can be seen below:

So what depends on python2.6 that won't be satisfied with 2.7?

My wheezy shows libdb5.1:i386 5.1.29-5 and jessie has libdb5.3:i386 5.3.28-9
(assuming they're related). Neither has python2.6.

Cheers,
David.