Re: Shift-backspace and Ctrl-arrow working within XTerm but not in tty* terminal

I append the following to /etc/console-setup/remap.inc

# Ctrl-arrow keys need to send the same codes as in X/xterm.
Control keycode 105 = F51
string F51 = "\033[1;5D"
Control keycode 106 = F52
string F52 = "\033[1;5C"
Control keycode 108 = F53
string F53 = "\033[1;5B"
Control keycode 103 = F54
string F54 = "\033[1;5A"

# Alt-space may as well produce a space rather than
# nul Meta_nul or Meta_space
alt keycode 57 = F41
string F41 = " "

Then I run in a VC (without X running at all)
# dpkg-reconfigure console-setup ; dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
making no changes.

(Why both? Laziness; that line is in my .bash_history file.)

Shift-backspace? Personally, I wouldn't want it to do anything other
than the same as backspace, but the principle is the same.

If X is running when you dpkg-reconfigure, you can get weird effects
when trying to switch X/VC or between X desktops until you restart it.
I *think* it goes away, perhaps being caused by the way terminal
settings are saved and restored when switching.

The format of remap.inc is a little wacky, especially what you can put
before "keycode": eg you can write Control or control, but where the
example included in the file has ctrll, Ctrll doesn't seem to work.

dumpkeys -f   will show the modified keymap (I find it easier to
inspect when piped through a whitespace crusher), and   dumpkeys -l
indicates that available F numbers go up to F246 (0x01ff) here.

Cheers,
David.