Re: Adapter Names on Stretch

On Wednesday 26 August 2015 20:04:50 Renaud  OLGIATI wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 19:23:51 -0400
>
> Eike Lantzsch <zp6cge@gmx.net> wrote:
> > I hope that Renaud has enough
> > humour to find it funny too, especially since he lives in a town in
> > which getting THE new NIC which is supported by his OS of choice is
> > sometimes a wee bit difficult.
>
> Coincidence, we just had a thunderstorm this evening, and two of the
> USB-to-RJ45 NICs I use on my dedicated (IPCop) firewall box were burn
> out  ;-3(

That is partially your fault.  Decades ago, when I was on a copper
circuit, and my house service wasn't up to code vis-a-vis adequate
grounding etc, I'd have a cripsy modem everytine we had a nearby strike,
where nearby was defined as within 5 miles.

I redid the service & made it 120% legal, installed some surge arresting
stuff and a UPS, soldered every electrical joint in this room about a
decade back.  Then single point star AC from a single wall plug for
everything in it.

So right now, I could take a hit on the pole across the street that
serves this house from a 50kw pole transformer, this whole room may
bounce 100 kilovolts for everything in it.  But with the surge
arrestors, and the lightning arrestors on every piece of copper going up
to the middle of the roof to my television antenna,  and on the cable
from the cable system where my internet comes from, I sit here and
listen to it, occasionally even taking a minor shock like grabbing a
doorknob after walking on a nylon rug.  But I have had exactly zero
equipment failures in the ensuing decade & change that I could attribute
to that.

Electricity is not magic, it has rules & regulations intended to tame it.
Here, it works nice.

Now, to add to the surge/EMP insults, I have a 100 foot piece of cat5
strung, up in the air, from the back of the house to a shed that has 2
of my CNC machines in it, from a hub in that shed, back to the garage,
another airbone run of around 75 feet.  There is a 3rd CNC machine in
the garage, but its cat5 feed is from an 8 port switch I can see from
here, and is not dependent on the airborn stuff.  That was just added in
the last 2 months, but there still has been exactly zero failures from
lightning induced EMP events.

> But thanks to the Internet, it is now possible to get spares shipped
> from abroad in around two weeks.
>
> Because it does take time for replacements to arrive, one learns over
> the years to keep a store of pares at hand, which is why I am able to
> send this reply  ;-3)

This also is good advice.

> Cheers,
>
> Ron.