Re: grub and encrypted partition problem

Hi Tomas,
>> When I want to start debian, it ist starting, but when I have to enter the
>> password, the keyboard is not working and frozen.

> Which password are you talking about here? The disk encryption's passphrase?

I am talking of the password of the encrypted partitions.
> In that case you are way past grub, in the initramfs (the kernel is up, a
> minimal pre-packaged environment is up, and your Linux system is busy trying
> to get enough running to hand over to init in the "normal" environment)

Yes, and I have new knoledges. I managed to get the debian startes with a trick.

First I changes the entry in /etc/fstab from example
/dev/mapper/usr to UUID=rz98u98127290502957whatever

Then, at boot it is not possible to enter the complete password, as the system is going
on to boot soon after the first letters were entered.

This behaves so at every partition. At last, I can get into the rescue console with CTRL-D.

Now I can manually open the partitions (cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda7) and mount them correctly.

After this I exit the rescue console with CTRL-D again (to proceed with the boot process) and
it is starting correctly.

the strange thing is, when I set /dev/mapper/usr into /etc/fstab, it will not boot and hangs at the
point "scripts/local-blocks/", trying about 10 times, then stops with initramfs error.

Maybe the initramfs-tool might be defective, but I do not know. This system is now running for several
years in this constellation, so I can not imagine, what has changed.

I am running debian/testin, with kernel 4.1, but the same problem appears with 3.16. Maybe the actual
initramfs-tool is buggy, but dunno.

Thanks for any help. I ama still not giving up, hope new information will help me on.

Best regards

Hans

regards