Re: CD DVD drive docs

On 08/22/2015 04:10 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Ah, a proxy-head then :-/

As a true Debian Developer he did not know any fear.

No lock function and no open(2) flag is really safe.

Hm. That's interesting...

Note well that it is about device files, not data files.
I documented our defeat:
   http://libburnia-project.org/browser/libburn/trunk/doc/ddlp.txt

My current advise is to pull in the tray manually
and to wait several seconds after any blinking ended.
I.e. after the drive, hald, udev, and whatever have satisfied
their curiosity.
Only then one should start a burn run on CD-R, CD-RW,
DVD-R, and unformatted DVD-RW.

To my luck i use mainly DVD+RW and BD-RE. Burn runs
on these media tolerate stray SCSI commands from other
processes, as long as they do not alter the medium
content.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

Wow, just...wow!

I have been struggling with writing backups and images to optical disc for months now. I've experimented by switching among media manufacturers and types (CD-R, CD+R, CD-RW, CD+RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW). I've used the various GUI interfaces and the command line writing utilities. I've purchased new drives. All of the experimentation has resulted in the same insanely inconsistent results. Much worse than the lost money spent on discs and drives that don't work properly is the hours and hours of extra time spent each week trying to write images or backups that just fail during the burn attempt with no error messages that a mere non-programmer like me can understand.

----

Ranting of me on park bench:

"Yes, I know the burn failed. Please tell me why. I can't even figure out what to file a bug report against! I can't even figure out how to word a question for the user list because the results I get are so damned inconsistent!"

"Yes, there really IS a disc in the drive. Why are you telling me there isn't a disc there? You just told me that disc needed to be blanked. I blanked it. Now you're telling me there is no disc there. Really? How far do you want me to throw you? How hard do you want me to dunk you into the nearest dumpster?"

----

Has no one bothered to at least publish information about which disc types work best? This information shouldn't be buried in developer or user mail lists. It should be published on the home page of the distribution's Web site! Seriously, that could make a huge difference in user satisfaction for those of us who write to optical discs.

If the kernel team (or anyone else) just decided that users didn't need reliable writing to optical disc any more, they might have bothered to inform the user base. I guess those of us who want to perform backups or image writes for long-term storage as part of our backup strategy are supposed to use -- well, what?

On all of my systems I occasionally hear the optical drives being accessed by some process. There's no rhyme or reason to it. During some sessions I hear the drives doing their little clickety-clack every few seconds for hours on end, and during other sessions I hear absolutely nothing happening with the optical drives. This is with no difference in my system or software use patterns. I guess this "are you there" crap, along with perhaps other crap, is why I have such a hard time burning two backup discs per week. Seriously, hours of effort every damned week to burn two blasted DVD backup discs.

So, CD+R, CD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW are my best bets? (I don't have a BD drive.) I had more or less arrived at the the same conclusion from experimentation, but even these disc types haven't been 100% reliable. And, hilariously, the other disc types aren't 100% unreliable.

Thank you, Thomas, for your efforts. Obviously, there must be a lot of people out here who are as frustrated by this issue as I am. And you must be even more frustrated by it.

Best regards,
Jape