Re: CD DVD drive docs

Hi,

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> And... how did you survive? Two heads?

I did not make an appearance at LKML but rather put my
effort in justifying my initially uncomfortable situation.
I had a few exhausting weeks before i could show progress
towards libburn-0.2.

Eduard Bloch, founder-forker of cdrkit, got his head bitten
off instead when he appeared on behalf of all burn programs:
  http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0703.3/1760.html

This led to an interesting private discussion with Ted T'so
which finally yielded that there is indeed no reliable
method in Linux to force exclusive access to a burner drive.
No lock function and no open(2) flag is really safe.

To our luck, the vulnerable media types are only CD-R and
DVD-R[W]. The others can stand a little peek by blkid while
they are burning.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas