Re: Antivirus for Debian

On Fri 21 Aug 2015 at 00:59:45 +0200, Nicolas George wrote:

> Le tridi 3 fructidor, an CCXXIII, Brian a écrit :
> > Yes. Without system integrity a user's files are worthless. Protecting
> > the system protects *all* users. That is the responsibility of the
> > administrator.
>
> So basically, you are saying that protecting the system is more important
> than protecting the users' files because protecting the system protects the
> users' files, and not seeing the contradiction in it.
>
> The truth is that the system is only a tool, and only the users' files have
> specific value. If the system is corrupted, you can wipe it and reinstall it
> from scratch in a few hours. If the users' files are corrupted, you may lose
> days, months, years of work depending on how sloppy you were with the
> backups. And of course, the users' files contain personal information that
> can allow to drain the bank account, impersonate persons, steal trade
> secrets, etc.

As a user I see a lot of specific value in *my* files and take steps
to look after them well. I (again as a user) see no specific value in
your files. If you allow them to be corrupted by downloading malware
into your space or accidently deleting one or two of them the system,
over which I have no control, continues to function as designed and
to the benefit of all of its users.

> Sure, corrupting the system may be a way of accessing the users' files, but
> the real value is in the users' files.

I wish them no harm but the files of other users have no value for me.