Re: trouble reconfiguring xserver-xorg

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 10:52:50PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2015-08-20 21:17 +0200, Haines Brown wrote:
>
> > Startx on a jessie desktop machine goes to a VESA display instead of the
> > higher resolution supported by my video card.
>
> That could be a kernel bug, or the sign of a failing monitor (it might
> no longer give correct EDID information, for instance).  Running
> "dmesg | grep nouveau" might give some hints.

Unlikely to be a monitor problem. I'm running Wheezy on another disk on
this machine without any problem. The dmesg does not report anything
unusual. Among the lines are:

  nouveau [DEVICE] chipset G86 (NV86)
  irq 48 for MSI (MSI-X)
  nouveau [DRM] failed to create encoder 0/1/0: -19
  fbcon: nouveaufb (fb0) is primary device
  [drm] Intitialized nouveau 1.1.2/ 20120801 for 0000.01.00.0 on minor 0

> > I decided to reconfigure xserver-xorg

> No, dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg is not supposed to do anything these
> days.  If you want to try a different video driver (say, the modesetting
> driver), you can try this 4-line /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"n"
> 	Driver		"modesetting"
> EndSection

This configuration worked, but still in VESA mode.

I'm running fluxbox with no desktop environment. Fluxbox comes up. So I
guess the issue is that the resolution capabilities of nouveau (and
modesetting) are not being accessed even though the module is loaded.

Thanks.