Re: aptitude/dpkg fails at "Preparing to unpack"

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 09:32:24AM -0700, Bill Brelsford wrote:
> Recent security updates on jessie (i486) have failed:
>
>   # aptitude update
>   # aptitude -DPR safe-upgrade
>   The following packages will be upgraded:
>     libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0  libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common
>   Reading changelogs... Done
>   (Reading database ... 72512 files and directories currently installed.)
>   Preparing to unpack .../libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0_2.31.1-2+deb8u2_i386.deb ...
>   E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg exited unexpectedly
>   Failed to perform requested operation on package.  Trying to recover:
>
> Installing or removing specific packages also fails.  apt-get works
> fine, but subsequent aptitude runs fail the same way.

First of all, eliminate the obvious: Do you have enough free space (and
free inodes) in order to unpack the archive?

Secondly, is the unpack process segfaulting? You might not see a message
at the console, but check if the kernel has logged an error.

--
For more information, please reread.