Re: Debian Gnome Or XFCE ?

Le 14/08/2015 02:39, Stephen Powell a écrit :
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 03:20:59 -0400 (EDT), didier gaumet wrote:
>>
>> Gnome-flashback has replaced gnome-fallback: isn't it 2D compatible,
>> relying on Metacity instead of Mutter?
>
> I don't know.  All I know is that GNOME3 only worked for me in fallback mode,
> and then one day, fallback mode disappeared and my desktop stopped working.
> I made the switch to XFCE and I am happy with it.  I have no incentive to
> switch back just to try your theory.  I do know that I "upgraded" my laptop
> from wheezy to jessie a couple of weeks ago.  It was running GNOME prior to
> the upgrade.  After the upgrade, I got the infamous "fail whale".  That does
> not give me an incentive to try GNOME again.

Let us say then that it is not my theory but a fact:
from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME_Flashback, I quote:
"GNOME Flashback (previously called GNOME fallback mode) is a shell for
GNOME 3. The desktop layout and the underlying technology is similar to
GNOME 2. It doesn't use 3D acceleration at all, so it's generally faster
and less CPU intensive than GNOME Shell with llvmpipe."

Don't get me wrong, I don't try to convert you to Gnome, I am myself an
everyday Xcfe user.