Re: pptp-based vpn

On 12/08/15 18:23, Brian wrote:
On Wed 12 Aug 2015 at 16:57:33 +0100, Martin Smith wrote:
I suffer from them, I haven't had a tv since 1971, and they can't let go,

Unless you have typed and sent your mail from a friend's computer, you do.

Conveniently, what the law requires people to purchase a TV licence for is not "you have equipment capable of receiving television programmes as they are being broadcast", but rather "you *use* some piece of equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being broadcast".

And yes, the law does distinguish between broadcast programmes and live internet streaming (e.g. the BBC's live coverage of the World Snooker Championship) on the one hand, and video-on-demand services (e.g. Youtube, or IIRC the BBC's facilities for watching programmes after-the-fact) and prepackaged recordings on the other.