Re: Debian Gnome Or XFCE ?

Le 13/08/2015 13:58, Bret Busby a écrit :

> Thank you.
>
> That is how I managed to initially install the operating system.

then you should probably have a grub entry with PAE enabled (forced)

> I have not tried, and, do not know how, to apply that fix as part of a
> kernel upgrade, and thence, I can not either update, or, add packages
> to, that computer, within that operating system installation.

1) edit /etc/default/grub, and add "forcepae" to the
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT parameter
for example:
replace
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
by
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash forcepae"

2)
$ sudo update-grub

3) reboot

4) Ubuntu being booted in PAE mode, apt-get would probably let you
upgrade your system

> I guess it is now just a permanent bug in Ubuntu "i386", if the
> problem does not apply to kernels outside Ubuntu.

It is not a bug in Ubuntu: it is a choice. For x86, they now support
only 686 with PAE (and from what I understand, PAE support in early
Celerons is deemed experimental).