Re: Debian Gnome Or XFCE ?

On 13/08/15 13:08, Wayne Hartell wrote:
I am currently a Debian Jessie XFCE user.
I want to have your views on Gnome VS XFCE.
I want to try Gnome but I want to know if Gnome is stable and works constantly without freezing and crashing.
Please share me your experience with Debian Gnome.
With Kind Regards,
Dwijesh
I haven't had trouble with Gnome3 on both a real laptop (low power Compaq with Intel graphics), and also on VMware virtual machines (although there were some hoops to jump through to avoid fallback mode for Debian 7). Debian 8 works seamlessly on VMware.

I also got Gnome3 running in the Jessie beta on a 9 year old desktop, without issue and it seemed to perform reasonably well.

I can't compare to XCFE since I haven't used that, but I do like Gnome 3.

I'm using Gnome3 on both low end and powerful hardware, it runs perfectly (albeit slower than lxde on my eeepc).

It's dynamic desktop management features I love so much. Pressing the Super key zooms out and shows all open applications on a desktop tiled, it also shows all the desktops in a preview down the right hand side. You can drag applications between desktops, if you go in-between the desktops it'll create a new one at that point, and there's always one spare at the bottom. The left hand side is a dock and the middle has the list of installed apps. Right clicking on any lets you create a shortcut in the dock.

Super key + start typing to open an application is great also