Re: Acceptable use of Debian products

Hi,

Martin Read wrote:
> The Debian GNU/Linux FAQ, Chapter 14 [...]
> "[...] For example, many of the programs
> are licensed under the GPL, which requires you to distribute their source
> code."

GPL requires to make the source code available, not necessarily
to distribute it.

GPLv2 in its explanatory part states:
  "For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
   gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
   you have.  You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
   source code.  And you must show them these terms so they know their
   rights."

So if you distribute Debian ISOs, you can simply point to
Debian's resources for getting source code in order to
fulfill the demands of GPL.
Debian itself typically has the original upstream source code,
Debian-specific patch sets, and points to upstream home page.

GPL terms are in
  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html
  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html
  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html
  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/old-licenses.html
depending on the variant which applies to the software in question.
Normally told in file COPYING in the upstream source package.

If you change something in GPL licensed source code and do
distribute it, then you are obliged to make available the
changed source code under GPL license.
If you do not distribute the result of the change, then GPL
allows you to keep the change private for yourself even if
you are a big company and earn a lot of money by running it.

There are other licenses involved.
I trust in Debian's promise not to trick anybody into using
and forwarding software which would not allow this in its
license:
  https://www.debian.org/social_contract
See especially the chapter
  The Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG)

Whenever you distribute changed software, first check its
license terms.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas