Re: pptp-based vpn

	For those in the UK, We in North America could
occasionally receive BBC1 from transmitters across the British
Aisles when Solar activity was high. The Band-1 transmissions
were roughly between 41 and 45 MHZ. Audio was AM or amplitude
modulation as well as was the video which was 405-lines and
monochrome.

	We could receive the signals during Winter and only when
it was daylight in both places.

	The Band-1 transmissions had been active from the 1930's
until 1986 except for World War II when they were switched off to
save money and remove a perfect beacon source for bombers to use
for guidance.

	The radio frequencies between 41 and 45 MHZ are used in
the Americas for emergency services and business two-way radio so
when the video signal was strong, folks using two-way radios in
that range had loads of whistles and buzzes to jam their
transmissions.

	People in the UK who may have lived in weak signal areas
probably saw lots of video disturbances from signals in the
Americas so while the unusual reception was interesting for us
radio enthusiasts, it really did none of the proper users any
good at all. That's partly why the BBC discontinued those transmissions
in 1986 and we in North America went digital in 2012.

	I listened to the sound of numerous transmitters in
Britain and France which had a similar system on slightly
different frequencies around 1970 and again around 1980-82 . I
remember hearing some of our emergency services trying to talk
over the video buzz and not doing too well. Sorry for the
extremely off-topic post, but I thought some might find this
interesting.

Martin