Re: v ia32-libs-i386 on Wheezy

On 08/13/2015 02:05 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> For a program that I want to install on my husband's computer, I need the
> following virtual package:
>
> v   ia32-libs-i386
>
> On my Wheezy computer it is installed, but it is not on my husband's Wheezy
> computer, and aptitude search can't find it.

Did you add i386 as an architecture on that computer? The package
ia32-libs-i386 is a package that is only built on i386 to support
transitions from Squeeze or older to Wheezy-style multiarch (it's
not part of Jessie anymore, because it's transitional) - and if
you didn't activate i386 in your system, then it won't find the
package. (And any package referenced by other packages are always
shown as virtual packages by APT if they can't be found as real
packages.)

Simple way to add the architecture:

dpkg --add-architecture i386

Alternatively, look at the contents of /var/lib/dpkg/arch, it
should contain two lines in your case:

amd64
i386

dpkg --add-architecture adds things to this file.

Hope that helps.

Christian