How to cross-compile a software from source on amd64 Debian system to all different architectures Debian supports without getting the libglib2.0-dev conflict in multiarch?

Hi,

My friend and I want to cross-compile a software from source code (not a Debian package) to pretty much all of the supported Debian architectures on a single machine.

We installed Debian Jessie amd64 on the build machine and were able to build amd64 binaries with no surprises.

The next task we set is setting up i386 builds be done on the same machine. We have used multiarch for that, and it worked quite well, until one of the dependencies for the software we build, namely libpulse-dev package, tried to pull libglib2.0-dev:i386 package from the Debian package repository, resulting in a conflict with the existing libglib2.0-dev:amd64 package. As it turned out, the libglib2.0-dev conflict in multiarch is a known old issue (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=648621).

So in the end we didn't succeed in building the i386 version of the software this way, which made our idea of setting up multiarch for every single platform Debian supports (to pull package dependencies for the software) and using cross-compilers for those architectures to build the software go out of the window.

Our next idea is quite similar to the multiarch one, but instead of using multiarch, we will create chroots for every single architecture Debian supports, since that will solve the issue of the libglib2.0-dev conflict. Once we have the chroots, we will try using the host system's (which is amd64) cross-compilers to all different Debian architectures and somehow make them use the files from the chroots.
It sounds a bit complicating and I'm not completely sure how that will work and if it will work, so any input is welcome.

If you have some other idea on how to cross-compile a software from source on amd64 system to all different architectures Debian supports without getting the libglib2.0-dev conflict, I'd like to hear those too!