Re: How come i wrote a NO-BREAK SPACE in xterm+bash ?

Hi,

Nicolas George wrote:
> I suppose everybody already knows this, but to check what keys applications
> receive from the X11 server, the xev program can be of great help.

Praise xev.

> xkbcomp $DISPLAY -

Nothing conclusive to see about "space" or "SPCE".

> The xkb_types section defines types of keys

Leaves me clueless for now.

> The xkb_compatibility section defines the effect of special keys.

I guess Alt+Spacebar is about

    interpret Alt_L+AnyOf(all) {
        virtualModifier= Alt;
        action= SetMods(modifiers=modMapMods,clearLocks);
    };

> The xkb_symbols section defines the actual symbols attached to each key.

    key <SPCE> {         [           space ] };

> And lastly, the xkb_geometry defines the physical layout of the keyboard, in
> case you want to display it.

I already wondered about "grey20".

> This is not comprehensive, but this is a start:
> [... some things which i knew and many which i didn't ...]
>
> Next The Onion headline: a disgruntled Debian user opens fire at a X.org
> developers meeting before committing suicide by eating the full set of X11
> reference manuals.

We need to hand out sedating medication before sending people
into the X space. (There are already proposals in literature:
http://cordwainersmith.blogspot.de/2010/12/haberman-technovelgy.html)

> (Although to be fair, the current X.org developers are probably suffering
> from that old design as much as anybody else.)

I assume a carreer starts at Scanner and peaks at Haberman of Keyboards.

So probably i was just lucky to stumble over a workaround
which was introduced in VT100 to rescue unprepared users
from the Pain of Space.
(I should have re-read Cordwainer Smith on the first hand.
 It's all there between his lines. Now i will be cautious
 not to meet the Manshonyagger.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas