Login failure after new install

I have completed a network installation of 8.1.0. I left the root password blank (i.e., disabled root login), supplied a username and password for a system management account, and selected GNOME as the only additional software to install.

After the installed completed and the system rebooted I was unable to login to the system management account via the guy interface (i.e., after entering the password the screen went gray for a short time and then the re-presented the login display).

I rebooted into recovery mode, changed the management account password, and rebooted the system again. The gui login behaved the same. What’s going on?