OT: *FREE* VPN! Why?

I became curious about the recent vpn thread here, and went browsing around the 'net. I was staggered (well, not really, that's just an expression, right?) to see the huge number of ventures offering free vpn. I know what vpn is, and what it does, and out of curiosity I have in the past set it up here with one of the isp's I do business with, who of course does not charge for that service.

Otoh I do not recall setting up a pptp connection to join his vpn. It was more like an ssh tunnel iirc. Is pptp a new twist on an old dog -- I haven't read the phrase "chap secrets" since the Good Old BBS dialup days! -- and, quite frankly, I'm wondering what market supports all these "free" vpn providers? It can't be all those day traders wanting to use the hotel wifi to make their millions safely. So, here goes (send all the kids out of the room); is this all a porn thing?

One is reminded of what happened to Usenet...

Ok...thx!

--
Bob Bernstein