Re: Differences between cdw/k3b on Jessie and Stretch (testing)?

Hi,

Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z "$drive"="$image"
> Burning the same image with growisofs in this way worked without a hitch -
> successfully. The resulting DVD-R is readable in any DVD player I got.

So either it was a coincidence that system upgrade and
poor relation between drive and medium happened at the
same time.
Or ...

> There must be something in between K3B or cdw and growisofs which
> miscalculates and sends wrong parameters.

With DVD-R there is mainly the choice between write
types "Disk-At-Once" (DAO) and "Incremental".
The latter offers the opportunity to keep the DVD-R
"appendable", i.e. writable on the yet unwritten space,
in contrast to "closed", i.e. not writable any more.

All three vartiations should work on a healthy drive with
good media. At the edge of failure, it might be that some
of them work while others don't.

Browsing in dvd+rw-tools-7.1 files growisofs.c and growisofs_mmc.cpp
i'd say that "-dvd-compat" causes "Incremental" with closing the
medium.
You could try for "Incremental" with keeping the medium appendable

  growisofs -Z "$drive"="$image"

And for DAO (medium not appendable afterwards)

  growisofs -use-the-force-luke=dao -Z "$drive"="$image"

With xorriso -as cdrecord it would be for "Incremental" "appendable":

  xorriso -as cdrecord -tao -multi -v dev="$drive" "$image"

for "Incremental" "closed":

  xorriso -as cdrecord -tao -v dev="$drive" "$image"

and for DAO:

  xorriso -as cdrecord -sao -v dev="$drive" "$image"

(The terms "TAO" and "SAO" stem from CD recording. I map
 them to "Incremental" and "DAO" on DVD-R.)

> Failed DVD-R with the same iso-image using cdw:
> READ DISC INFORMATION:
>  Disc status:           blank
>  Number of Sessions:    1
>  State of Last Session: empty
>  "Next" Track:          1
>  Number of Tracks:      1
> READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
>  Track State:           invisible incremental
>  Track Start Address:   0*2KB
>  Next Writable Address: 0*2KB
>  Free Blocks:           2297888*2KB
>  Track Size:            2297888*2KB

Looks like a completely unused medium. I would flatly try
to burn it once again. But you report of visible burn traces.
So possibly it failed to write the "Recording Management Area",
which records the areas covered by logical tracks.

Without visible burn marks, i'd suspect simulated writing, a
feature of CD-R[W] and DVD-R[W] but not of the other media types.
With growisofs that would be option
  -use-the-force-luke=dummy
with xorriso -as cdrecord it would be option
  -dummy

Have a nice day :)

Thomas