Re: scanner not recognized

On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 12:13:43 -0400
Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> On 01/08/2015 11:29 AM, Nicolas George wrote:
> > Le quartidi 14 thermidor, an CCXXIII, Frank McCormick a écrit :
> >> LSUSB doesn't find it on the scan of USB ports. I suspect the
> >> kernel module is not being loaded.
> > An USB devices appears on the bus even without kernel module.
> >
> > Look at dmesg; nowadays, "dmesg -w" is quite convenient: start it,
> > hit enter a few times to make space, plug the device, and you see
> > the corresponding messages directly.
> >
> > Regards,
> >

>      Tried that - nothing at all. Changed the cable. Nothing. I
> strongly suspect it's dead. Damn! :)

By an astoundingly strange coincidence, my LiDE 20 wasn't recognised by
sid about two hours ago.

Unfortunately, the simple answer, as revealed by /var/log/syslog, was
that my USB hub didn't have enough current to drive the scanner. I
plugged it into one of the tower USB ports, and it buzzed and lit up
and ran happily.

It would be nice if it was that easy for you. If it isn't, I can drag
it back downstairs (it's usually attached to the wife's Win7 machine)
and try to work out what it needs. A glance at lsmod shows me nothing
that I can associate with scanning, but there's quite a lot there I
can't identify at all. The syslog file doesn't mention anything being
loaded.

--
Joe