Re: Can't connect to the internet after "aptitude safe-upgrade"

On 7/31/15, tan_ny@hushmail.com <tan_ny@hushmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I use an ADSL modem to connect to the internet. A few hours ago I ran
> "aptitude safe-upgrade" on two  computers with sid installed on them.
> As soon as the upgrade finished I lost  my internet connection on both
> computers. When I rebooted them and  ran "pon dsl-provider" and
> ifconfig, ppp0 did show up. Here are the ifconfig outcomes.

< snipped for brevity >

> /etc/resolv.conf on the computers seemed OK, but I couldn't ping any
> website or connect to any website  using Firefox. I tried using
> OpenDNS but it didn't help.
>
> On the  computer that I'm using now I didn't run "aptitude
> safe-upgrade" and the  internet connection is fine, so the problem
> isn't related to my ADSL  modem or my ISP.
>
> Someone suggested that I should run
>
> /etc/init.d/network-manager restart
>
> but it didn't work.

Hi.. I'm a fish out of water (inexperienced) on this topic but am
writing with a thought while you're waiting for someone WITH
experience to write. If if I was mucking around this in your same
Shoes, one step I'd surely try is to see if specifically related
software packages didn't make the upgrade but do have upgrades that
are needed.

As an example of where *MY brain* would take me, I'm on dialup. For
starters, I'd be looking at pppd, pon, and wvdial if I lost my
connections in a similar way. My thought process would be that maybe
those didn't get touched on during a "safe-upgrade" where they might
have upgraded otherwise. Maybe something else WAS upgraded that
directly affects how not yet upgraded packages work.

Or not. :)

You know what.... a SUPER HANDY tip I picked up from this list last
year (k/t Bob!) and that is a PERMANENT TOP FIVE of mine is
"apt-show-versions".

That's the package name. The actual command I use AT LEAST couple
times a week is:

$ apt-get update
$ apt-show-versions -u

That "-u" presents you with a list of only those packages currently in
need of upgrades. Maybe by running something like "apt-show-versions"
or similar if you find it, you might see appropriate package names
leaping off your screen?

Or not, grin.

Just thinking out loud.. Good luck!

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* wrangles ~50' fallen Hickory trees with her 16" electric chainsaw *