Re: eth0 : no such device

Quoting Diogene Laerce (me_buss777@yahoo.fr):
> [...]
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have big issues recently with debian that I don't understand, maybe
> >> someone could help on the matter ?
> >>
> >> First, debian does not want to give me any network. I really say debian
> >> because I have 3 possibilities to run the OS : 2 USB sticks and a PC
> >> tower, all
> >> on wheezy, which worked fine til they do not for no reason.
> >>
> >> The one USB stick which does boot and run says, when /ifconfig eth0 up/ :
> >>
> >>     eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: no such device
> >>
> >> The other stick now even doesn't want to start X (but that I guess is not
> >> related, surely USB stick issue).
> >>
> >> And the tower.. I had to install fedora because it didn't want to mount my
> >> home during installation - which was a new 1To disk to format, even after
> >> formatted it which gparted. Plus the unavailable network issue of course,
> >> also during installation.
> >>
> >> These network issues only happen with debian as I could install fedora with
> >> no issue at all : it took care of my home and found the network without
> >> raising
> >> any flag.
> >>
> >> Any idea ?
> > Did you do anything to your network device(s)?  New anything?  New card?  What happens with a new Debian installation?
>
> Well no, I didn't. Everything was fine and the same until it didn't.
>
> Actually it started with repetitive attempt to connect from a live
> cd 7.8 version which froze my internet box (router + TV). But the
> repetitive attempt seems to underline the existence of a pre-existing
> issue.. I guess.
>
> After that, I was unable to connect from any debian device. Even a
> mint live cd couldn't. But parted magic live cd could, fedora could.
>
> I then tried to install 8.1 but it wouldn't either and raise the home issue
> with it.
>
> All those happen on the workstation/tower.
>
> >   Did
> > you move anyhting?
>
> Yes I actually change my home disk to another one, new, 1To Seagate.
>

> >  What is the physical relationship, if any, between the
> > USB sticks and the tower?
>
> I installed all stick OSes with the station which failed first.
>
> I now have access only to one USB stick : 1 does not load X as said before
> and I have fedora now on the workstation (tower).
>
> A mysterious comrade who wants to remain anonymous it seems, I will call
> him Mr T. :), advised me to look into /etc/udev/rules : eth0 had been
> renamed
> to eth2 with eth0 bound to the tower MAC address (fedora today) and eth2
> bound to another tower MAC address I tried the USB stick on after.
>
> I deleted the first tower line and updated the eth2 definition ->
> changing it
> to eth0 and now it works.
>
> But it still does not explain why the 7.8 and 8.1 did not, on the first
> tower ?
> And neither why the Mint live cd did not ? And as I can't reproduce the

I was reluctant to make any comment on your first post because, at the
end of it, I wasn't sure how many computers you were using and what
was and wasn't running on them.

Having in the past played fast and loose with switching hard drives,
NICs and kernels between computers (no USB sticks back then), I
remember the problems with the kernel's random naming of multiple
identical NICs (the university naturally bought hundreds of them),
and the usefulness of udev when it arrived. But the persistence of
/etc/udev/rules.d/ comes at a price. I think there's work in progress
but it's probably quite hard to keep things in sync between different
distributions/versions etc.

> > What does /etc/network/interfaces say?
> >
> > What is the result of
> > #ifconfig -a
> > ?
>
> Now the result is normal : http://pastebin.com/DDvQCePg
>
> I did try to get it during the 8.1 installation though, from the shell, but
> it seems that the installation shell lacks a lot of tools and I couldn't
> get a clear status of what happened there.

ifconfig is considered outdated, so installers use ip. You don't even
have to be root to find ip in your path. Yes, ifconfig's indentation
is prettier when you just want a quick summary, but ip is more
flexible and the output is much easier /to parse/. Emphasis directed
at Lisi :)

> So I guess this is it for this issue.

One small thing: your concealed MAC address is fully revealed in the
ipv6 link address. If you obscure just the 2nd half of the MAC (and
its corresponding part of the ipv6), we can then still read the
manufacturer's part without your revealing then full MAC.

Glad it's all working now.

Cheers,
David.